Thursday, January 31, 2008

Many uses for short videos

Just wanted to share that my students and I have had some great learning experiences this week using the short videos from www.simpletruths.com. A few examples . . . We watched "Great Quotes from Great Leaders" and then did a classifying activity with Inspiration (analysis level thinking is part of the Language! curriculum). It was an easy way to incorporate both technology and social studies into my Language! curriculum! I'm also going to have my students go back to the video on their own and reread the quotes for an independent reading activity, as independent reading is also part of the Language! curriculum. So many possibilities. Today I'm going to show "Outside the Box" and have the students, in partner or small groups, orally retell the story.
Guess what? Retelling is also part of the Language! program. Has anyone else used these videos? I'd like to hear your ideas.